If you are reading this, you are either a new parent or are due soon. So, congratulations!
Parenting is an extremely intimate and sentimental experience. It changes everything and brings more joy than you ever thought possible.
With this experience comes a certain amount of fear and worry. Babies are extremely delicate and you need to be on your toes to ensure everything’s okay. They need 24/7 attention and the best of everything. Low-quality products such as clothes, shampoo, wipes, and bottles can create medical emergencies.
This is where a huge question comes in – can a baby be allergic to bottle nipples?
About the bottle
Bottle-feeding is an integral part of growing up for a baby. While breastfeeding is always recommended, there may be times when you have no choice but to bottle-feed. That’s totally okay – you don’t have to worry about it.
The worrying part comes in when you have to buy the right bottle. Besides size and type of bottle, you should also be careful about the nipple. This is the part that the baby will put in its mouth. Any compromise here can lead to less than welcome circumstances.
Can a Baby Be Allergic to Bottle Nipples?
The answer is yes. Latex allergy in babies is not unheard of. So, if your baby is sensitive and you buy a bottle with a latex nipple, the chance of an allergic reaction is quite high.
The good news is that only a few bottles have latex nipples. Most nipples are actually made of silicone, which is quite sturdy and easy to use. Silicone also has a few significant advantages over latex such as the following:
- Very sturdy
- Can easily last for a year
- Easy to clean
Other things to remember while buying nipple bottles
Now that you know what material is best and safe, let’s take a look at the other factors that you must consider while buying nipple bottles:
- Shape: Standard baby bottles are popular, but if you buy bent bottles, you will see that your baby is able to swallow milk easily and without fuss.
- Material: We recommend BPA-free plastic bottles because glass bottles are scary. They can shatter! They are also quite heavy.
- Size: This depends on the age of your baby.
- Nipple size: Size 1 is for the youngest babies (birth to 6 months). It has a small hole. Sizes 2-4 are for older babies.
- Nipple shape: Common shapes are dome-like or they mimic the breast nipple. There are also orthodontic nipples that fit the mouth easily. You can choose any of these based on the doctor’s advice.
Cleaning bottles and nipples
You must always wash the bottle and nipple after purchase. Use hot water along with soap. You can also wash them after every use.
If the nipple shows any signs of wear and tear, it is best to replace it.
We hope all your questions about bottle nipples and allergies have been answered. If you have any more concerns, please do not hesitate to speak to us.